Attire for Ladies
- All dresses or skirts must be ‘BELOW the knee’. (new requirement for 2018-2019)
- Party dresses or skirt and blouse ensembles may be worn
- Attire must still be acceptable while arms are raised to the dance position thus blouses or tops must still cover the midriff and skirts and dress length must still be modest while dancing. If the dress or skirt is too short, students will be asked to wear a slip that goes below the knee.
- NO strapless, backless, midriff-revealing dresses allowed.
- Black or white gloves (available for purchase at Cotillion every evening)
- Leather-soled dress shoes with back or strap and low heel (must be no more than 3 inches high and recommended 1 inch wide). Flats, wedges, loose sandals or gladiator style sandals are not allowed. We recommend ballroom dance shoes. For safety reasons, slides, mules, platform or rubber-soled shoes are not allowed at any time.
- Acceptable dress strap thickness will be 1” or wider and cannot be transparent (Adding 1” ribbon as straps is a popular alteration.)
- A jacket or sweater must be worn all evening if dress has less than 1” straps. Shawls, wraps, and shrugs are not acceptable as they are difficult to keep in place. Strapless dresses are not allowed even with a jacket or sweater. For Formals, long dresses or tea length dresses are acceptable. Ankle length is recommended for ease of dancing.
- Founders Formal -- Graduating 8th graders are to wear long solid white dresses. The 8th grade dresses may be strapless.
Attire for Gentlemen
- Solid color dress slacks (no cargo pants) in khaki, navy, black, or dark grey
- Dress shirt
- Jacket (blazer or suit is acceptable for regular evenings) Jacket must be able to be buttoned
- Dark suits and white shirts are required for Winter Formal and Founders Formal
- (dark grey, navy, or black suits are acceptable. Brown and light grey suits are not acceptable)
- Tie (novelty ties are not allowed)
- Dark socks
- Belts (black or brown) must be worn to each event
- Black or dark brown, leather-soled dress shoes (NO rubber soles on the dance floor; the heel of the shoe may be rubber) Adding leather or suede to the bottom of the shoe is an inexpensive option to comply with this rule.
- Black shoes only must be worn for Formals
- Note that ties should be properly tied and shirts tucked in at all times.
- Attendance to Etiquette Night, Winter Formal and Founders Formal is mandatory
- We do allow 2 absences per year
- If you miss a Formal, Etiquette Night or have more than 2 absences you may lose priority for registration the following year and/or be asked to leave the program
- Children dance in pairs; when others are chronically absent it affects the quality of the program.
- Please check the dates for next year to make sure you really are able to participate in the program
- Online applications are sorted by date & time stamp
- You must send in the check within 1 week of registration
- Checks are not deposited until you have been accepted into the program
- Returning students have priority registration 1 week prior to Open Registration.
- American Club members receive priority during the Open RegistratioN.
- After Open Registration applications are processed in order received
- Each class has spaces for 30 girls and 30 boys
- Waitlist will be created. There are often changes and spaces do become available.
- Once your application is accepted, we will confirm by email after the registration period
- Send a formal invitation, Code of Conduct for your child to agree to sign, and more detailed information.
- Your student will be requested to write a handwritten formal reply accepting his/her place in the Cotillion program.